Teachers: Ustadha Naeela (Mon-Tues) and Ustadha Sonya (Wed-Fri)
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatahu,
Here you can find the latest information on the exciting topics we are learning about, homework, trips, PE days, special visitors and much more.
PE for Year 6 takes place on TUESDAYS.
Please ensure your child wears their PE uniform and black trainers on this day.
Year 6 for Autumn 1 were very lucky to go on 2 educational trips linked to their topic Dinosaurs & Fossils.
Trip 1 - Workshop at Cardiff Museum where they had the opportunity to take part in a carousel of activities including measuring the footprint of a T-Rex, handling fossilised bones and teeth, matching fossils and creating their very own dinosaur!
Trip 2 - Day trip to the National Showcaves (Dan-yr-ogof) in Swansea. We had a great day visiting the caves, learning about the cave formations, the stone layers and the Stalactites & Stalagmites! We had a great wonder around the dinosaur park finding and recognising the dinosaurs on our trail!
Our topic for Autumn 1 was DINOSAURS & FOSSILS.
In this topic we learnt about:
- Fossils & the process of fossilisation.
- The work of palaeontologists and palaeoartists.
- Making and Excavating fossils.
- Different family groups of dinosaurs.
- Dinosaur footprints and eggs.
- Timeline of the dinosaurs.
- Project work on dinosaur art.
- Extinction of dinosaurs.
- Short dino animation producing, filming and editing.
Our topic for Autumn 2 was HEROES & VILLAINS.
In this topic we learnt about:
- What is a real life hero and what qualities a hero should have.
- Significant heroes from the past and present and the changes they made to their societies.
- Significant villains of the past and the problems they created.
- Social change and environmental movements and their significance.
- Muslim heroes of the past and the legacies they have left.
Our topic for Spring 1 is World War 2.
In this topic we will learn about:
- How WW2 started
- The effect of WW2 on children and women
- Key people involved in WW2
- The Blitz
- Evacuation and rationing
- Muslim contributions to WW2
About year 6's homework: Year 6 are given various types of homework to consolidate their learning in school. We would really appreciate your help and cooperation in supporting your child with their homework.
- Weekly- Children get weekly Qur'an memorisation, reading, spelling and maths homework. Arabic homework will be given as and when needed.
- Half termly- Children will be given a homework grid every half term, which corresponds with activities and tasks to do related to their current topic. The children can choose when to do their tasks but do remind them every now and then, so they don't rush it during the last weekend.
- Holidays- Children will get a piece of homework to do over the holidays to prepare them for the next topic.
Homework Choice Board:
Homework Choice Board for WW2 :
Abacus website: https://www.activelearnprimary.co.uk/start
Coding games for kids: https://www.stem.org.uk/news-and-views/opinions/five-top-games-make-coding-easier
Coding game, SCRATCH: https://scratch.mit.edu/
Horrible Histories: https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/shows/horrible-histories#episodes
Dinosaurs & Fossils: